The perfect weeknight meal when you want something light, refreshing and satisfying? Look no further, this fine-looking teriyaki tofu vermicelli bowl is here to save the day
I inspected my refrigerator for scraps and abandoned hidden gems. There was tofu and some leftover lettuce & bean sprouts that are waiting patiently to be used up because we’ve just had grilled fish the night before and we had tons of leftover vegetables and vermicelli. Even though an H-mart just opened around the corner, I didn’t want to deal with the madness and crowds associated with grand openings.
So I decided to create whatever I have left in the fridge…
And it was amazing!! It’s light, satisfying but delicious with a teriyaki base sauce tofu and jam pack crunchy vegetables.
You’ll love the teriyaki tofu vermicelli because it’s tangy, sweet, and crispy.
This is the perfect meal when you’re craving for something light, refreshing and full of flavors and it only takes less than 30 minutes.
Teriyaki tofu, it took you a while to come into my life, but, boy, am I glad I have found you!
- For the Tofu:
- 2 pieces of firm tofu (about 8oz) (pressed then cut into 2 inch pieces)
- 5 tablespoon vegetable oil (divided)
- 3 tablepoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- For the teriyaki sauce: (makes ½ cup)
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- For the dippin sauce
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon soysauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- squeeze of lemon juice (1/2 of a lime)
- For servings:
- Vermicelli (14 oz)
- Vegetables such as: bean sprouts, green apples, mints, lettuce, pineapple...
- sesame seeds and peanuts for garnish
- Begin pressing the tofu by laying a paper towel on a plate.
- Spread the tofu on top of the paper.
- Place another layer of paper towels on top of the tofu.
- Place a chopping board on top, or something heavy enough to press down the weight across the top of the tofu
- Let sit for 15 minutes while preparing other ingredients
- Prepare the vermicelli according to package instruction
- Prepare the teriyaki sauce by whisking all sauce ingredients in a bowl
- In a medium sauce pan, heat 3 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium high heat
- In a shallow dish, roll tofu over corn starch then transfer to medium sauce pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides
- Transfer fried tofu to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil
- Clean the sauce pan with paper towel and add the remaining oil over medium high heat
- Pour teriyaki sauce into the sauce pan and immediately add the fried tofu, toss to combine so all of the tofu is evenly coated. Continue to cook until sauce thickens
- Remove from heat, garnish with sesame seeds
- Serve on top of vermicelli with vegetables such as bean sprouts, sliced cucumbers, pineapples, sliced green apples, etc
- Note: This recipe makes ½ cup of teriyaki sauce. I only used ¼ cup and save the remaining on a airtight container for later use.